Thursday, April 22, 2010

Of rights and of wrongs...

“ Ang hindi bumoto ay walang karapatang magreklamo.”

This political ad is aired by GMA Networks which I had watched last night. I saw Manila Bulletin ( a daily newspaper) at the end of the spot.

I am alarmed by the authoritarian, misleading and manipulating ad. Long ago, I decided not to participate in Philippine politics including election. I will not vote.

I do not like to react but with the facts that millions of children have watched the the ad obliged me to point my view.

Children (and youth) are the most vulnerable sectors of the society. They could be easily brainwashed (conscious or by subliminal effect). To condition the mind of these segments are fair enough if the inputs are for positive outputs. But if it is the opposite,it should not be tolerated.
The ad unfairly suggested to the viewers that to vote is a must, otherwise they will lost their right to complaint.

I am not sure if the Manila Bulletin is the advertiser or a sponsor. Whatever it maybe, the ad is a product of mediocre and irresponsible creativity. Manila Bulletin and GMA Networks are both misleading the public. They lost their ethics and social responsibility (as corporate media, I regret that my 1-day lecture to FAITH (First Asia Institute of Technology and Humanities) in Tanauan, Batangas about responsible media to political reform was not materialised). They do not think that every adult is rightful not to vote and to vote is not a requirement for anyone to enjoy the right to complaint or participate in governance. Human rights is inherent and inalienable. The right to complaint is a part of the right to freedom of expression. To require a prerequisite for the right to fully enjoy, right is no longer a right but but a privilege. And this right to freedom of expression is the soul of the media. To curtail the rights is tyranny. Manila Bulletin and GMA Networks lost their reasoning by promoting tyranny and both are guilty of committing a suicide attempt.

I am not a political scientist or analyst like Prof. Alex Magno (who defended the worst president GMA and condemned the participants of the failed EDSA 3 attempt). However, I am sure of the above-mentioned media are promoting violations not just to the political rights but also to religious rights.

True Christians struggle against the devils in high positions and this, God’s will does not require any political vote. (Ephesians 6:12).

I do not vote but I tried my best to keep myself to be a Filipino citizen by commenting and criticizing. But after several years, I realised that Filipino citizenship is exclusive for the privilege wealthy and influential people. No one could protect and promote the basics of politics. We lost our statesmen and intellectuals. What have been left are intellectual ignoramuses and political morons. Others are just like me who get tired of complaining and criticising that led to political spirits to die.We lost citizenship and it is not about and limited to voting. It is the participation to administration of justice (according to one of the architects of democracy). For one to be a citizen, one must share to that and and sharing has multiple forms and avenues. The shares must be heard and be given attention. Writing names or shading the number of the candidates does not reflect the aspirations of the people.

I do not vote. I do not care. My concern is for the children. To mislead them is not acceptable otherwise the history of the mediocre will repeat itself when they reach adulthood.

I lost my citizenship. No regrets. I am a citizen of the world.

No comments: