Saturday, January 16, 2010

Liberty For Sale


I struggled before and during my stay in jail for justice. Justice for the rich and poor--equal protection of the law and the rule of law for those with the money and those who do not haves.

I declined the suggestions of my lawyer-friends from a distance and the pressure of the judge to post bail for my temporary liberty. They got my liberty without the due process of law and they are selling it back to me for a price. Liberty is now a commodity in a monopolistic market.

Wanted the truth, justice and the rule of law to prevail--the power of reasons not of money, I spent 50 days inside the cell with inmates.

But despite of my facts and arguments presented, my position remains to be in a disadvantage side. After realizing that the Philippine legal system is really working in a capitalist framework and its agents give more weight on the value of money, I compromised. I posted 4 thousand bail for my temporary liberty. I am no martyr. I am wasting my time and risking my life to a great danger. My ideologies and definition of justice are not for them.

1 comment:

inapingbata said...

hello! just dropping by... i could still remember 19 years ago- i was a freshman student in BMHS and you were the seniors. I had the chance to be a member of the school delegation in one of Leyte Division's Science Fair in Tolosa, Leyte sometime in 1991. Nice to hear from you Kuya Rannie!