Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My birthday...my protest

My 37th birthday was yesterday (May 4, 2009). I told some of my friends that I will celebrate it on Department of Labor and Employment, Intramuros, Manila City (I stand corrected, I learned by the time I informed the security that I will stay across the DOLE building that the new Secretary is Marianito Roque who succeeded Secretary (Brion and)Patricia Sto. Tomas) in protest against the delay of the result of my complaint against Arellano University for illegal dismissal .

Yesterday, it was quite strange. Securities and some employees are very accommodating. They provided me drinks (water and juice) and care for my health (I was exposed to sunlight; thank God I survived the whole day. I beat the sunstroke). Opposite of my experiences when I was with the groups, I was almost always mauled by the dispersal team, securities grabbing our placards.

I appreciate some DOLE employees for showing their concern to me. However my concern is beyond their authorities. But some are very disappointing for I expected some of them (especially the Executives who have authorities over NLRC) will go down to me to resolve my demand for immediate action. None of them cared as if they are not public servants but lords and kings. So nothing happened.

I returned this morning (May 5, 2009). So far same as yesterday, no one of the Execs showed for clarifications. One advised me just to write the Secretary which I refused. I submitted already my written complaint (notarized by a lawyer), rejoinder, letter to Executive Arbiter but got no result. If those things failed, why should I do it again? Encouragement of elitist way of transacting business with them is what they want me to do. While in my picket line, two men approach me in separate occasions. The first one who are with his union members told me their objectives. They were there for possible remedy for NLRC decision in favor of Coca cola Bottling Corp. They asked the NLRC to decide on the matter of security of tenure removal from CBA provisions and discrimination of union members for career advancement and discouragement of new employees and laborers to join union for them new comers will be given priority for advancement. After exchanges of information and experiences, they left and I hope the Court of Appeals will reverse the decision in favor of the union and to uphold the Constitution and labor rights.

The other one who is a KMU labor leader, inquired about my case and its status. We had a little chat and part our ways with well wishes to both of us.

3:30 pm, I left Intramuros and marched to Makati City. By around 4:00 pm, I was in Ayala Avenue. . Along Thailand Street near Legazpi St., I was apprehended by MACEA roving security guard. He forced me to keep my placards which I refused by asking what ordinance he is applying. He replied it is MACEA policy not to allow anyone with placards to pass the vicinity. It is private property, he justified. I just provided him my name and address and told him to charge me for any violation. I will wait for their subpoena.

He let me go. To my surprise, he was ahead of me along Amorsolo Street and apprehended me again. By this time with invectives against me. I explained that the road is for motorists and passersby I have the right of way for it. He replied that “…but without placards…”. I told him that it is my right to express my grievance freely. And I left the arrogant and fascist-like security guard.

On the other corner he was there waiting for me, by that time, in a more aggressive gestures. I warned him that if he would touch me, I will charge him but he hold my placards but he was alarmed with the hard object supporting my placards. He radioed his buddies for reinforcement. I immediately left the place to avoid any injuries to incur. They are not my priority-enemies to fight with.

Though, it is very alarming that MACEA, a private organization, could implement policies violating the Constitution and other Civil Laws. A private martial law in Makati Area, too dangerous. I hope that Mayor Jojo Binay could check this as he aspires for Presidential bid.

No comments: